Just some short news takes this AM:
- The media is continuing with all its might to tie the President to Jeffrey Epstein. “They were friends once, they were neighbors, his secretary of labor is the former prosecutor”. It goes on and on. If you didn’t know better you would think that Trump was the President flying on Epstein’s plane to a private island and not Bill Clinton.
- As the administration continues to try and find a way to get the census question on the form did you see what a judge ruled yesterday?
He rejected the administration’s plan to switch its legal team on the case. What? Did you ever hear that before? You cannot have the lawyer(s) of your choice?
- What will the market do today? Well the Federal Reserve chairman (Jerome Powell) is set to appear before the House Financial Services Committee at 10 a.m. What he says about plans to hold or cut rates will make all the difference.
- Yesterday we commented on the issue of continued deficits. This is from The Hill today:
“Indeed, far from delivering on his promise to cut America’s trade deficit, Trump has presided over a ballooning deficit that’s on pace to be some 25 percent higher than when he took office. This is happening at a time when the budget deficit is widening and the country’s public debt is well on its way to exceeding 90 percent of GDP.
Sadly, the Trump administration seems unfazed by the country’s deteriorating long-run financial position. It shows no indication of correcting policy course to put the economy on a sounder long-run economic footing”.
- Yesterday we also told you about the court hearing in Texas that could rule Obamacare illegal. This today from Newsmax on that session:
“A federal appeals court panel appeared sympathetic on Tuesday to Republican efforts to overturn Obamacare, expressing skepticism to Democratic calls to overturn the ruling of a Texas judge who found the landmark U.S. healthcare reform law unconstitutional”.
- This morning, the British Ambassador to the U.S. is resigning.
“The U.K. Foreign Office says Britain’s ambassador to the United States has resigned just days after diplomatic cables criticizing President Donald Trump were leaked”.
Kim Darroch said in a letter Wednesday that even though his posting was due to end this year, he believed “since the leak of official documents from this Embassy there has been a great deal of speculation surrounding my position and the duration of my remaining term as ambassador”.
- Have you followed the growing rift in the Democratic House between Speaker Pelosi and the “gang of four” leftists? The war of words is escalating. Yesterday Speaker Pelosi reacting to their comments on the vote to provide border dollar relief said:
“It wasn’t dismissive, it was a statement of fact…nobody followed their lead”.
AOC has now responded:
“It’s not even the four of us. It’s like ‘These ones What the speaker said… it’s not true. It’s just wrong… as progressives, it’s okay not to vote for the legislation to make a point.”
- Right below the surface remains Iran.
Yesterday they warned they will take further steps to breach the 2015 nuclear accord if it doesn’t receive relief from sanctions. They have already begun enriching uranium above limits set out in that deal and threatened to quadruple that level.
Senior U.S. officials signaled that Washington had every intention of continuing its economic pressure. No backing down they said.
The President for his part has questioned why the U.S. is bearing the burden of protecting the flow of oil tankers past Iranian waters.
This one remains dangerous and we need to see how our “allies” react.